Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Consumption update, in which I refer to a total of four books as being "splendid."

I'm too scatter-brained to write a coherent update, so here's what I've been reading.

Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid. Funny, but I'm getting a bit tired of the Lemony Snicket schtick. Actually, forget the "getting." Fortunately, I only paid $5 for this book in hardcover!

The Mysterious Edge of The Heroic World by E. L. Konigsburg. Splendid. It's about freedom of expression, and the value of art, and political persecution, and Nazis. And a retired opera diva who wears flamboyant clothing. It's great.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Also splendid. It was based on a BBC 2 series which I now want to watch. Gaiman's books are so clever and funny and scary. I started this in the Vancouver airport yesterday and finished it last night at midnight.

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin. I know this book is Kind of a Big Deal, but I didn't like it at all. I found it borderline incomprehensible. The mystery "clues" were always really cryptic, but there were so many of them, I got bored of trying to figure them out.

Last week (or maybe the week before) I also finished The Thirteenth Tale (Splendid!) and The Several Lives of Orphan Jack (Splendid!) At work I am compiling a list of read-alike books for Orphan Jack. It's such an exciting task.

E. L Konigsburg and Lois Lowry were probably my two favourite writers when I was a kid, and now I've decided to re-read all their books. E. K. Konigsburg's books are actually out in a series of beautiful new editions, so I might have to buy them all, but that is neither here nor there. I'll be using the lists of their books linked above to undertake this task.

I'm also watching Season 7 of CSI (I know, I know; see this) and it's predictably CSI-y. There is so much science going on. It's exhausting.

I just got home from Washington last night. I did lots of outlet shopping, went to see Jonathan Coulton live at a great venue called The Triple Door in downtown Seattle, and saw a tiny lighthouse.

OK, I updated my blog. It all you guys' turn now.

No comments: