Thursday, April 17, 2008

So, this month I am working at the children's library. I realize I have probably never properly cleared up this issue. I got a (permanent) new job which begins in May. This month I am working here, filling up the hours with books about princesses and trucks and dinosaurs. And I am weirdly aware of my status. I know that people come in, and see me sitting at the desk and think: There is The Children's Librarian. She is wearing a cardigan! Just now I saw two little (little-- too little) boys outside waiting on the sidewalk, and I went to see if they needed help because I'm responsible like that, and I identified myself: I am the children's librarian. If you need help, or you need to use my phone, you can come into the library. I am aiming for kindly, but I may be hitting matronly instead. I accept that, though. Both kindly children's librarians and matronly children's librarians are ok. I just don't want to be one of the stern ones.

No comments: