Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Dear women in space shows:

In the coming 44 minutes, you will be piloting and repairing space-ships, out-manoeuvering enemies, discharging firearms, dismantling explosives, and running energetically down echoey metallic hallways. You may be imprisoned or forced to defend yourself with violence. You may be exposed to extreme weather conditions, a lack of life-support systems, interrogation, exhaustion, and physical and/or emotional stress. Put on a shirt over your futuristic sports bra. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. In space, it never hurts to be prepared.

Love,
Jocelyn

Last night James and I went to see Miss Potter, which was good. I guess. I mean, it was good, in the sense that I wasn't offended by it. I don't really like Renee Zellweger; her Zellwegeryness (Zellwegeriosity?) tends to take over everything she appears in. But more importantly, there was a trailer for Bridge to Terabithia. I got really excited for the first eight seconds of the trailer, until I realized Disney had turned the story into a "children in a magical world" CGI-a-thon: giants, talking trees, and a myriad of other Narnia-the-movie-esque creatures. It does have Zooey Deschanel, James's indie-movie-star-girlfriend, in it, so I can be reservedly hopeful. I'll go see it, but I won't be happy about it.

Deletia: trying to remain reservedly hopeful, in the face of reasonably overwhelming odds.

No comments: