Monday, January 22, 2007

The Way Things Work

So... James sent me this link to an article about someone who quit World of Warcraft after basically having their life ruined by it. This comes at an opportune time because just yesterday I had a really frustrating WOW-day and found myself grouchily flying around on gryphons, grumbling as if it was my job. (Now granted, I was really close to leveling up, but still.) Compulsion to engage in leisure activities even when you are not enjoying them? That's addiction. I'm taking a break.

During said break I will be reading Alberto Manguel's wonderful The Library at Night, catching up on school-reading, and cooking. (I bought a new cookbook which comes highly recommended to me: Donna Hay's Modern Classics. If anyone wants to come over, I will cook you something from it. Well, not anyone.) Trying to learn how to use my new sewing machine. And maybe watching Farscape, which is bizarrely appealing. When watching this show, I periodically think how dumb the things that happen are, and yet I keep trundling through Season 1. Something must be going on there. Pheromones.

Other notes on my mental state: I have been having these kind of social-commentary nightmares. Two nights ago I had a dream about a drugged-up woman dropping her baby on its head on the hard granite floor of Edmonton Centre. Last night I had a dream about capital punishment. Oh, and I was the one being executed. I would take a break from sleeping, too, if I could.

Today I became a member of the Electronic Frontier Foundation. I have had them on my links page for awhile. They do advocacy and information work in protecting internet users' rights. And now, they are doing it with my money, but I think that's probably a good thing, because what was I doing with my money? Yeah. Nothing.

I woke up this morning feeling strangely aware and sort of gloomy. Joining advocacy organizations sometimes can help to shake me out of this funk. If this fails, it will be more Etsy art for me. I feel tired, Universe. Just doing the things I always do seems to take more energy than usual. It is not a "scooters" kind of day.

No comments: