Wednesday, September 26, 2007

3:10 to Yuma-- "It's alright. They don't have to be blue."

So, I saw the newer 3:10 to Yuma a couple weeks ago, and last night I watched the old one. I'm happy to be able to say that they're both awesome! It's not very often I like two things. It's hard to judge because I saw them in the wrong order, but I think I might like the new one more. Its ending is definitely better, and so's the casting I think. Glenn Ford and Ven Heflin can't really compare to the charisma of Batman and, uh, Cinderella Man! (You probably thought I was gonna go with Gladiator, huh? Nope!) Anyway, both are well worth watching, and you should go see the new one in the theatre if you can, because we have to support contemporary Westerns. Otherwise Hollywood will stop making them. And then I will have nothing to occasionally like, and usually make fun of.

I don't know if I really believe in progress, in a general sense. But I do believe in it, and I have seen its effects, in one particular arena: child acting. Am I right? Why were child actors so universally bad in the 1930s-1950s? Anyway, the newer 3:10 has the same number of child/adolescent stars, but 3 times the acting.

No comments: