Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Tasty, tasty murder

James and I watched Fast Food Nation last night, and now I don't eat red meat anymore. I'm not kidding. It's not a great movie--a little too earnest, plus in it Avril Lavigne's character claims to have read a book--but the final sequence, of cows being slaughtered, was unwatchable for me. I may eventually give up pork as well, although at the moment there are pork chops in my fridge, so that day is not today.

(I read the book this movie was based on, as well, several years ago, and it had much the same effect on me--except it was fast food I gave up, and that resolution lasted for six months. I may also give up exploiting the illegal Mexican workers, which, fortunately, would have absolutely no effect on my life whatsoever.)

This is not exactly because I think killing animals, to eat, is wrong. I remain resolute in my belief that animals, if they came to dominate the planet, would eat us--especially fish. It's because all the various factors that co-operate to allow us to eat as much meat as we do in this country are not a sustainable way of setting up a lifestyle, or an economy. And I am all about sustainability.

I'll let you know how it goes.

----------------
Currently listening to: Joseph Arthur - Black Lexus
via FoxyTunes

No comments: