Thursday, June 21, 2007

Currently reading...

Noisy Outlaws, Unfriendly Blobs, and Some Other Things... That Aren't as Scary, Maybe, Depending on How You Feel About Lost Lands, Stray Cellphones, Creatures from the Sky, Parents Who Disappear in Peru, a Man Named Lars Farf, and One Other Story We Couldn't Quite Finish, So Maybe You Could Help Us Out

I am really enjoying this book. Like most short story collections, it’s a bit hit and miss, but the introduction by Lemony Snicket is very funny, and the stories by Neil Gaiman and Clement Freud are real stand-outs. Like most McSweeney’s books it is also physically very beautiful, nicely bound, with great illustrations. I haven't finished it yet (two stories to go) but I will today, because tonight I am going to pick up my amazon package from the post office, and then my all-consuming book will become Miranda July's No One Belongs Here More Than You. Summer is for short stories, everyone knows that.

Amazon has Noisy Outlaws... classified as a children’s book (as does McSweeney's), and it had literally never occurred to me that it was-—but now that I think about it, I guess that makes sense. (I bought it from the Space Store in Seattle, so I didn't know what kind of book it was. Or, more accurately, my dad bought it for me.) It says a lot about the book that I didn’t identify it as a children’s book until now. But it doesn't have any swearing, and the dominant tone is kind of silly, so it must be. Highly recommended.

Noisy Outlaws... is currently on sale for $5 at the McSweeney's store. While you're over there, sign me up for their $95 book-a-month-for-a-year club. It sounds heavenly AND economical. I'll pay you back.

I don't know why anyone would care, but in case you do (or if, based on my blog, you are in love with me and want to know everything I do and read and think about), what i have read, am reading, and want to read is always on my list over at listsofbests.

No comments: