Friday, June 15, 2007

I tried to complete the personaldna test over at personaldna.com, but then I was confronted with this:
Aaah! WHAT?!? I don't like to answer personality quiz questions on the Internet if they look like conceptual models for information-seeking behaviour, or something. I go on the internet to ESCAPE conceptual models. Plus, I cannot work their slider technology.

So, instead I shall explain briefly why I didn't like Christopher Priest's book The Prestige. What I loved about the movie was how intricate it was--complex, and yet all the elements fit together in this extremely concise, intentional way. Nothing was extraneous or misplaced. The book was completely lacking in that kind of concision: clumsy, sprawling, vague. Obviously the movie could not have happened without the ideas set forth in the book, but in terms of the kind of experience the viewer/reader has of the story, I liked the movie so much more. And I would like to think that it would be the same, even if I had read the book first (although I never would have even finished the book if it weren't for my admiration for the film).

Anyway, you don't care about any of this. Let's talk about Friday.

Earlier entry: as I may have mentioned already...

No comments: