Thursday, June 21, 2007

in a foreign country

Yesterday I totally felt like a Ben Lee song, but today, I feel like a Tom Waits song. And not in a good way.

There is new corporate art on the lawn between the train station and the library... and it's TERRIBLE. I don't know how the university is ever going to be world-class if all our corporate art is made out of rusty repurposed steel. It doesn't even look like art, it looks like a plane crashed and they haven't finished cleaning it up. Couldn't we have something made of marble, or concrete, or even new steel instead of rusty steel?

It makes me depressed, but then, it helps that I was already depressed to start with.

In the garden the snake was a charmer
And Eve said let's give it a try
Now lead us not into temptation
But no matter how hard I try...
-Bell XI

No comments: