Thursday, June 7, 2007

Lately: reviews of things I have read/seen, composed primarily of adjectives

  • Shrek 3: uninspired. EVERYONE was calling it in.
  • 21 Grams: Bleak, fractured, and powerful.
  • Pirates 3: Convoluted and confusing, but beautiful to watch and oddly satisfying.
  • From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler: As charming and timeless as I remember--but with an added edge of anxiety over runaway children that I don't remember from my childhood love of the book.
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban [the movie]: I saw this movie again, as part of my half-assed re-readings and re-watchings, preparing for Harry-Potter-A-Palooza 2007. I believe my admiration for these movies, such as it is, can be summed up as follows: Alan Rickman. Maggie Smith. Hermione. A pretty cool castle.
  • Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay: hottt, with plenty of heartbreak, morphine addiction, and family psychosis to go around.
  • Ann and Seamus: OK. In other words, Canadian.
  • Away From Her: Touching, sad, and beautifully shot. In other words, Canadian.

1 comment:

Tederick said...

By the way, I've been meaning to say: that's the best Pirates 3 review I've read yet. Who says reviews have to be detailed?