Friday, July 13, 2007

I am going to finish watching Season 1 of LOST this weekend. I like that this show doesn't have a theme song, that the opening credits just play over the opening scenes. It leaves more time for medical-emergency, mystery-solving, baby-having, hatch-finding, subtitled-fight-picking, Sawyer-sulking drama. But I do kind of miss having a song I can sing along with--it helps to give TV shows structure. (I never tire of the Buffy theme song, and the little finger-dance that goes along with it. I still rock out to the Dandy Warhols' Veronica Mars theme song [We Used to Be Friends] every time I hear it. I like the Alias theme song, and the maraca-like chick-a chick-a sound I always feel compelled to make at the end of it. The only theme song that I cannot abide is Gilmore Girls' Where You Lead. CAROLE KING, KISS MY ASS!) So to fill the void left by the absence of a LOST theme song, I have written my own. It is very short, composed of the word "LOST!" sung only once, but it has a dramatic operatic quality that I think will appeal to the show's audiences. If I can ever reach them with it. Ideally, this song should be sung twice every episode, once when the open title appears, and once at the end as the credits begin. It takes all my singing talent to sing it, and I sing it well.

[Actually, the LOST theme song I have written has a sort of interesting history. Joss Whedon's production company, Mutant Enemy, has a little segment that plays at the end of his shows. (If you want to watch the youtube video, and why not?, it's here.) But in the musical episode of Buffy, the little monster sings his "Grr argh," in a very cute and musical way. And the LOST theme song is actually the word "Lost," sung to the tune of the musical "grr argh," if you can picture that--and if you can, please make a recording of it and send it to me, because your version of it based on my convoluted description promises to be hilarious.]

Happy weekend, internets! I'm going to start making out with Friday in approximately 26 minutes, and I suggest you do the same.

No comments: