Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Keep it light enough to travel

I'm happier than usual tonight--my CSS blessings multiply. I got a ride to the grocery store to buy my usual weird assortment of food: ground chicken, sugar-free Peek Freans (James: "You are 80 years old."), dinosaur fruit snacks, and skim milk. My new Harry Potter book is reserved and pre-paid for, from my local independent bookseller. I get to go on a mini-road-trip to Red Deer this weekend so James can get his passport application signed by the only judge we know. (Long story.) I got to dig out the ole MLA handbook tonight for the first time in months. There are lots of things to feel happy about--just set the bar low.

Sometimes it's like Alberto Manguel is reading my mind:

Every library suffers from this urge to increase in order to pacify our literary ghosts, 'the ancient dead who rise from books to speak to us' (as Seneca described them in the first century A.D.), to branch out and bloat until, on some inconceivable last day, it will include every volume ever written on every subject imaginable. (The Library At Night, 86)

I am having one of those days where I am frustrated by being unable to read everything, simultaneously, but I shall have to settle for The Library At Night, Dave Eggers' How We Are Hungry, and beginning on the weekend, the penultimate Harry Potter. And I mean 'penultimate' in the incorrect sense that it usually gets used, in case you were confused by that.

2 comments:

so angry said...

lol I'm always so misquoted...

I said 65, not 80!

Prolix said...

James: lol You're always misquoting me dummy
Jocelyn: Sorry