Sunday, July 15, 2007

Sunday mornin' comin' down

I made these human eyeball pincushions last night, using this flickr tutorial. (There are also some for sale in the Etsy store of the woman who made the tutorial.) It was very easy, and I like how disgusting they look. I even learned a new embroidery stitch for this project, so I would say I've accomplished everything I need to for the weekend. (Plus, I found a way to recycle those plastic 2L pop bottle caps, which are a key structural element!) Everything I do today is just gravy. And I may make actual gravy.

I made a Facebook album of my various craft projects. I know, how self-aggrandizing of me.

(Whoa... in the USA, what size are the big bottles of pop ["soda"]? 2 litres is such an ideal size! I know we have more in common that what divides us [awwww....] but sometimes I am just so disoriented by the idea of living in a world where things are measured differently. Also, I have decided to start refering to the United States as the "USA," or better yet the "US of A," because I think it has a retro, old-timey feel. Anyway...)

Otherwise, though, the weekend has been a bit of a bust so far as I felt bizarrely, unpleasantly ill yesterday due to what was likely one or more of the following illnesses:

  • Toxic Shock Syndrome [I regularly become convinced that I have this, in spite of its extreme rarity]
  • Sunstroke [Even though I was very sick before I ever went out in the sun]
  • Air conditioning malaise [because the air that is breathed into my apartment by the air conditioning system smells and tastes funny]
  • hunger [on weekends, I sometimes become so lazy about food that I basically don't eat any of it, and my body rapidly progresses past hunger to a headachey, nauseated, muscle-achey state. Since I do not diagnose this state as hunger, I conclude that eating won't help, and I get sicker. This happens a surprising amount, and yet I just don't learn. I am like a baby bird that cannot care for itself.]
  • the flu [when I have flu-like symptoms, generally I only consider a flu diagnosis as a last resort.]
So I spent most of the day indoors, watching Lost (and singing the theme song), and when I ran out of episodes, James drove me to not one but two movie stores to get more.

I am actually being serious here when I say that true love is driving someone around on a Saturday afternoon to rent them more DVDs, because they are feeling sick and sad. Not to mention driving them to Wal-Mart so they can buy felt and embroidery floss to make pincushions shaped like human eyeballs. I have the best boyfriend in the world, internets. Our six-year anniversary is coming up at the end of this month--I may have to write a commemorative poem or something. (I mean, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to date 18-year-old me, so I would say James really took one for the team there.) And despite the impression this website may give, I actually love other things about him besides the fact that he drives me around. I can list some of these other things in the poem, maybe.

I gotta bounce.

4 comments:

Candice said...

In the US of A, a 2 litre bottle of pop is called a 2 liter. I just checked, and the label says "2 liter (2.1 QT)". So pop is basically the only thing in the grocery store that's measured in a way I can understand.

Prolix said...

Good to know, thanks! I like knowing people who can check on these things.

alea said...

motor oil is also measured in liters (note the spelling change), as are medicines (mL at least). Milk gets to be in gallons and whipping cream is the only thing that I've ever seen sold by the pint. Of course, we get to buy apples in pecks and

Something that always blew my mind about Canadian groceries was that ads would list items on sale (say, meat) in pounds but then the store would have the prices in kilos. At least America's consistent.

Prolix said...

It's just to keep out the riffraff.