Wednesday, March 19, 2008

deletia loves made-up holidays

Today to April 5th: discardia. I like the sound of this holiday: "Discardia is the time to get rid of things that no longer add value to your life, shed bad habits, let go of emotional baggage and generally lighten your load." I also like how it moves around every year according to the dates of the moons and equinoxes. Whimsical!

[I genuinely will be doing a big sort and cleaning this weekend, getting rid of stuff. I had a weird moment this morning when I realized I have lived in my apartment for a year and a half now, and I felt this crippling fear at the idea of moving and having to pack up all my crap. When you're thinking about that at 7am, that's a call to recycle and throw away and donate to Goodwill. Particularly since a good deal of my crap came from Goodwill in the first place. Flamingo lamp, I am looking at you.]

Tomorrow, wear a sweater in honour of Mr. Rogers. ("Sweater day"?) It would have been his 80th birthday. I never watched Mr. Rogers' Neighbourhood, but I like both wearing sweaters and participating in random holidays, so I'll be celebrating this one as well.

Towel day is also coming up in May.

2 comments:

alea said...

discardia is a bit like a secular Lent. Well, with less figurative discarding, I suppose.

Prolix said...

Aaah, secular lent. Or as it is sometimes know, seculent.