Monday, August 13, 2007

Developments.

i. I am in what probably amounts to my worst financial straits ever. I have less than $1 in my bank accounts (combined), plus, I have $1.08 in available credit on my VISA card. HOWEVER, I get paid tonight at midnight, so fear not, Internets, I shall not starve. I am not telling you this to make you feel sorry for me, but rather, to impress you with the recklessness of my financial existence. What would I do if there was some kind of emergency? Borrow money from my sister, of course!

ii. I am totally, totally making chicken in my slow-cooker tomorrow morning so that when I come home from work it is ready to eat. It's starting to feel a lot like fall around here, and everyone knows that fall is slow-cooker season. I want to marry my slow-cooker, and by extension Meghan, who gave it to me. Any takers? Meg?

iii. My job search continues apace. Life after grad school is tiresome and terrifying, both. Long-time readers of this blog (if such a creature exists) will remember my deliberations over what to do after my undergrad degree... this is like that, only worse, because I'm older, have more financial responsibilities, and have now invested even MORE time and money in my interesting, but non-fruitful, education. The stakes are higher. However, I am cautiously optimistic about finding a job. I have to review the employment facts:

a. Every time I am without employment lined up, I get all stressy, and I have nightmares about it, and I become irritatingly neurotic.
b. All the same, I have never had trouble finding a job. In fact, I think out of all the jobs I have ever interviewed for, I have gotten the majority of them.
c. IN FACT, I have a history of having jobs fall into my lap. I worked in a cool, albeit dysfunctional, research unit here at the university--a job I was offered via e-mail, as in, "How would you like a job?" I got my in in the textbook writing/researching/fact-checking world the old fashioned way, through nepotism, and those gigs continued long after the original nepotism connection ran out--sweet work if you can get it, since you set your own hours and work in your underwear.
d. Therefore, not only should I not be worried about not finding a job, I should actually shut up, so that people who really have trouble finding jobs won't hate me. It's just me--employers, men, puppies, and credit card companies find me irresistible.

iv. given points i (bring broke) and iii (being unemployed, but optimistic), should I buy Season 1 of Fraggle Rock on DVD?

6 comments:

Tederick said...

Before or after you buy season 2 of The Muppet Show on DVD?

Prolix said...

I don't have ANY of the Muppet Show seasons on DVD. I know, right? Someone with a tag for "Muppets" on their blog should have all of them. I'm ashamed.

Tederick said...

Well there's only two so far. I bet somebody out there's offering some kind of deal when you buy both, too. How can you not? They're flocked! Although the whole flocking thing is going to get seriously dodgy when they do the Fozzie season. That bear has some thick fur.

Tederick said...

Jesus that's the nerdiest thing I've ever written anywhere about anything.

Prolix said...

I don't understand what that means, and I'm pretty nerdy.

Tederick said...

"Flocking," as I've recently learned, is the technical word for when they cover stuff in a fine layer of fuzz.