Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I must philosophize, for a few short minutes, about the past.

"And what better day to forgive and forget than Danish Day, the happiest of all days?" -Rory, Gilmore Girls

Today is not actually Danish Day, not in the sense of there being danishes, but it reminds me of Danish Day. You could say it's reminiscent of Danish Day. It's also reminiscent of Thursday, for some reason, and that's pretty confusing, because I keep thinking that tonight I can go home and do laundry, when in fact nothing is further from the truth: I have to stay here, and work on the group presentation my group will deliver tonight, and then I have to go to class, and then I have to go to the bar and celebrate having done those things. Low standards for "reasons to celebrate," around here, that's what keeps us all going.

So, tonight's class is the last of my degree. I know what you're thinking. "Jocelyn, why didn't you just get your MRS degree?" Well, there is a Facebook Group that agrees with you, stranger. It's called "James & Jocelyn should AT LEAST move in together (or get engaged)" and it was started by our friends, who hate us. Heh.

Anyway, instead of getting my MRS degree, I got my MLIS degree, which has similar letters but which hopefully will give me greater financial freedom. And I will be done it today, internets. I took some cool classes (History of the Book! Contemproary Theories of Reading!) and a few dumb ones, I met some of the most interesting and nerdy people of my life so far (many of them owning library-themed internet t-shirts and/or librarian action figures), I drank a moderate amount of tea and even more cocktails, I did a presentation about Armed Services Editions (and wrote a Wikipedia article), I made gantt charts and records management retention schedules. I evaluated digital libraries. I applied metadata to things. Gosh, it's been fun.

On another note: at work, I live next to the machine room on the top floor, and there is this weird, loud, rhythmic whooshing sound that fills up my end of the hallway. A co-worker recently described this sound as "like being inside a whale." Oddly enough, I have gotten so used to it that I no longer notice it when I come into work this morning, and in fact, I would probably find the actual experience of being inside a whale comforting. Whenever I DO notice it, it amuses me, because I pretend (in my mind only, so as to retain my Professional Work Facade) that I can speak whale. "Whyyyyyyy.... arrrrreeeee..... yoooooouuuUUUUUUU.... soooooooOOOOOO.... looooUUUUDDDDddd?"

Again, for emphasis, I say: heh.

3 comments:

Tederick said...

You and James don't at least live together??? Shit, if I was on Facebook I would be all over that Facebook group.

so angry said...

lol - tederick, they got to you too!

it's a frakkin' disease I tells ya

Prolix said...

Goddammit.

No one understands that I'm independent women.