Monday, August 6, 2007

Dispatches from my weekend entertainment consumption: (Feel free to skip)

So, finished Season 3 of Veronica Mars, thanks to the magic of P2P. Oops, did I say P2P? I meant legal internet magic. Anyway, Veronica is working these cute side-ponytails and knots in season 3, which remind me of late-'80s/early-'90s elementary school and yet are somehow awesome. She is also wearing lots of little tiny jackets and sweaters and VESTS, which is something that I really can't condone. I want all my TV-ladies, whether they are in space, breaking apart rocks, or solving crimes, to dress in clothes that are practical yet comfortable. It's not a fashion show, people. (Oh, of course it is, but I can dream.) Aside from fashion, I have nothing to say about VMars Season 3. The first season of that show was probably the closest thing, in my books, to a perfect season of TV, and then the second season sucked a little bit, and then the third season sucked a LOT, although not enough to make me stop watching, because that would never happen. Hey, TV! Make sense! I was complaining about it getting cancelled, but then as I was thinking about it, I realized I have never really liked all the seasons of a TV show, so maybe it's just as well--the entertainment equivalent of mercy killing. The shows which I have liked the most seasons of (Gilmore Girls and Buffy, at five seasons each) are rare exceptions. TV lacks sustain. It tends to lose its charm, become mired in its own mythology, or give viewers the one thing they want, then have to take it away again because YOU SHOULD NEVER GIVE VIEWERS WHAT THEY WANT.

I also finished Season 2 of Lost and started Season 3. My summer TV project, tackling The X-Files from beginning to end, has completely fallen by the wayside. I'm so embarrassed! What about my GOALS? But this show is like crack. I am obsessed with it for all the same reasons as everyone else, with one additional reason: I am very compelled by underground research stations, especially ones decorated like the 1970s. It's pathological. Little, enclosed, modular spaces obsess me--all the more so if they happen to feature retro decor, or are reminiscent of bomb shelters.

Shut up, I'm cool, and yes, I did do other things this weekend besides watch TV. I also watched some movies (The Bourne Ultimatum and Spy Game, both pretty good). Oh, and I finished Alexander McCall Smith's The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs, and started the third book of the Professor Dr. von Ingelfeld trilogy, At the Villa of Reduced Circumstances. These books are so funny--constrained, mean-spirited, and old-fashioned. And short! I love them. Also, Alexander McCall Smith has the best titles for his books. I don't like the Ladies Detective Agency books that much, but the titles keep getting better and better.

Back to the digital salt mines tomorrow. At least, with a clean apartment and lots of .avi files on the compy, I feel I can face the week head-on.

----------------
Currently listening to: Tom Waits - Little Drop of Poison
via FoxyTunes

No comments: