Thursday, August 16, 2007

The solution to many an existential crisis.

Today's Cat and Girl is funny.

Now that I watch Lost, I'm concerned about my survival skills, or lack thereof. Therefore, I think this Wired guide to using a wristwatch as a compass could come in handy. I shall memorize it.

Seriously. I've had this conversation with a couple different people, and the consensus seems to be: come a plane crash, or any kind of disaster actually, we're (me, and most of my friends) the first to get eaten when everyone gets hungry. I'd be like, "No, I can't help sew up your polar bear wound... but do you want me to build you a website? I bet the domain name 'www.strandedontheweirdestislandever.com' is still available! Or analyze some literature for you? Any takers?"

EATEN!

The only one of my friends to survive such a purge would be Courtney, because she's a paramedic (or possibly an EMT). I will need her to say things like, "The useless Jocelyn is under my protection."

And I'll refuse to teach them the watch-as-compass trick, so as to make myself indispensable. *Surreptitiously look at watch* "Hmmm, I sense that south is that way..."

2 comments:

alea said...

aren't compass skills only useful if you have a general sense of where you are? I'm pretty sure you'll still get eaten. Start learning to fell small fauna with your bare hands. THEN you'll be saved.

Prolix said...

Trying to acquire survival skills is an exercise in futility, as my introductory Spanish professor used to say. I may as well accept my being-eaten destiny.