Monday, August 6, 2007

How could I know there's no island nearby?


Now that I have taken Records Management, and I have seen the error of my own record management ways, I have created a folder on my computer called "inactive retention." In it, I put other folders that are no longer in active use, but that are not ready for destruction or archival storage (which, in the case of my computer, also happens to mean destruction). Unfortunately, I still move these files around in a rather haphazard way, and not in accordance with any kind of retention schedule. (Besides, there is an abbreviation for this type of file use: SO, "until superceded or obsolete.") Still, I feel pretty good about it.

On Friday night I watched Spy Game with some friends from library school, including one in my records management class. We were surprised by the extent to which records management (or lack thereof) figures in this movie. Files are always moving around, being stolen and misplaced! Duplicate copies are being made, but I'm not sure that anyone is keeping track of what office is responsible for the master copy. You know? It's troubling. They should show this movie to recruit people into Records Management. Although that would constitute a trick, since actually the field (as far as I can tell) has nothing to do with espionage, or Brad Pitt. Unless you wanted to develop a file on Brad Pitt, with newspaper clippings. And then manage it.

(Oh: also visible in this screenshot of my documents on the compy is my "jobs" folder, the image for which is a foxy-looking lady shelving in high heels. Although if she's shelving, is she really a librarian? It's hard to say. It comes from the Law Librarians Blog/American Association of Law Libraries photo contest. Also visible is the Cheat's GameBoy-in-a-blender which symbolizes "miscellaneous," since I can think of nothing more miscellaneous than a GameBoy in a blender.)

I'm applying for jobs today, watering plants, listening to the Gothic Archies, and watching TV on my computer. I expect to finish season 3 of Veronica Mars today, and possibly find employment.

----------------
Currently listening to: The Gothic Archies - Shipwrecked (from The End)
via FoxyTunes

No comments: