Monday, February 11, 2008

Putting the pieces together

Recently it feels like everything is breaking around me. Based on my previous record, you might think I'm referring to some kind of metaphorical sense of "breaking", but actually I mean literally. All my electronics. My Thing-A-Day updates have been hampered by my broken camera. This morning I got the digital camera equivalent of the BlueScreenofDeath. A couple weeks ago, I had a day set aside to copy my whole hard drive, wipe my computer, and re-install Windows, which I thought would fix my compy problems. I backed up my files onto an external hard drive, but then, when James and I tried to convince the computer to boot from the CD drive, the computer went into extreme unco-operative mode. Sometimes it would not boot at all, just kind of wheeze and sit there. Other times it would boot up a little bit, and then we would get a DOS screen that said "DRAM is too tightly." When we changed it back to booting from the hard drive, it was no longer willing to even try. My home computer is now James's old computer--fitting, since I also have his old stereo and his old TV. Yep. I live in a world of tech hand-me-downs.

My work computer has also been giving me sass lately. It won't use Flash even though I have re-installed the latest version several times. I can't exactly complain to the help desk either -- "Flash doesn't work on my computer, I can't play Scrabulous on Facebook!" Yeah. Exactly.

My only working gadgets are my phone and my ipod. If either of them kicks the bucket, I'm going to be pissed.

This is a bad morning after a rough night. But I walked to work in actual LIGHT this morning, and it's a balmy -12 outside, and I have my coffee. Things are looking up, I guess. Now if only I had whatever the camera equivalent of coffee is...

No comments: