Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Thing-A-Day Feb. 6


Today's Thing(s) are a set of heart drawings. I am in a big anatomical heart phase right now, and etsy is chockablock with awesome anatomical heart projects, so I decided that rather than spend valuable money, I would use my valuable markers and make some of my own. I drew them freehand using a bit of anatomical heart clip art I found using the magic of google images. (They actually look quite a bit better in real life, but I don't have a scanner so a digital picture will have to do.) Each one is 6-7" square.

theheartwants1 theheartwants2

The one on the left is meant to look like riff on the heart tattoo--bright, bold and simple. The one on the right is a lot dirtier (the scribbling is fun) and was my first experiment sewing paper with my sewing machine. I am planning to do a third one as a print with black screenprinting ink on red fabric, but that is going to be a much more intensive project for another (Thing-A-)Day. Once all three are done I'll find frames for them I think.

It's not art though, it's just fancy craft. Heh. I mean, I have friends who are artists, but I can never identify myself as one, or think of anything I do as "art." I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I am always just going for some strictly aesthetic effect--there's no intention behind anything I do, other than to make it look a particular way. I mean, it doesn't MEAN anything. But then, how come artists get to paint a single coloured box and it's art because it means something? Maybe they just like coloured boxes the way I like hearts.

Some people hate identifying what they do as "craft." I hate "art." This is something I shall think more about. In the meantime, I'll be in ur cubicle, colorin wit ur markers. And shopping on Etsy. Yeah, I tried to fill the void myself, but it didn't work. No surprises there.

Previous Things-A-Day
An explanation [of sorts]
Thing-A-Day 2008 homepage

No comments: