Saturday, October 20, 2007

"and all night you drove me wild with your equations..."

Over Thanksgiving weekend, a friend recommended the Josh Ritter song "The Temptation of Adam," and I've been listening to it since, in my usual obsessive way. It's a love song for the end of the world, and thus, right up my alley.

I never had to learn to love her like I learned to love the Bomb
She just came along and started to ignore me
But as we waited for the Big One I started singing her my songs
And I think she started feeling something for me...
[...]

Oh Marie there's something tells me things just won't work out above
That our love would live a half-life on the surface
So at night while you are sleeping I hold you closer just because
As our time grows short I get a little nervous

I think about the Big One, W.W.I.I.I.
Would we ever really care the world had ended
You could hold me here forever like you're holding me tonight
I look at that great big red button and I'm tempted

You can stream the song on his site. Josh Ritter is on tour right now, and I'm going to see him when he comes here in February. Call me a romantic, but that nuclear war imagery just gets to me.

No comments: