Monday, October 29, 2007

"On a clear day I can read your mind..." -Rilo Kiley

Hey, Internet.

I've been a naughty blogger lately, with my, well, lack of blogging. But real life has been happening all around me, and them's the breaks.

I had a fun job last week, being a temporary-type children's librarian. I helped to prepare for what I can only describe as the puppet show event of the year--a version of The Very Hungry Caterpillar, done with blacklight and neon paints. I cut my thumb on the die-cutter machine, and because I was working in a (very) unionized environment, I had to fill out a two-page injury incident report. They didn't seem to understand that these incidental injuries happen to me on a literally daily basis; one of my co-workers exclaimed, "You could get blood poisoning!" Since, as mentioned, I injure myself constantly, this actually freaked me out quite a bit. If I can get blood poisoning once from a die-cutter, imagine what could happen from dropping a ceramic plate on my foot, stabbing the roof of my mouth with a knitting needle (don't ask), or walking into the corners of EVERYTHING. Yeah, I know. I feel in danger.

Anyway, the children's library was like a vacation you get paid for--not because I didn't work, but just because signing up 7-month old babies for their first library card, finding books about being sad, and helping elderly ladies find books from their childhood barely qualifies as work in my schema. I even did a little quality stamping, feeling like I was channeling the librarian rage of my fore-mothers.

And then today I had another interview, for a job that I start on Monday a week from today, working in the communications unit of a government department. I'm doing the 3 R's of Jocelyn Working: Riting, Research, and Rediting. (OK, whatever, I tried.) It sounds great, I'm making a lot of money, and I think I get a cubicle--my first! (I've had jobs with pseudo-cubicles before, but I think this one will be a real cubicle, made of those sound baffling walls--in a kind of fancy mosaic pattern.) This job is located a scant five blocks from my house, and in that five blocks are TWO Starbuckses. And now that I have a proper job, you KNOW I'm going to start drinking that yuppie coffee.

----------------
Currently listening to: Rilo Kiley - Give a Little Love
via FoxyTunes

3 comments:

Tederick said...

Mother of frick, TWO starbuckses? Why do you get two if I get NONE??

Prolix said...

Downtown Edmonton is Starbucks-topia, it seems. Actually one of the Starbuckses I will walk by on the way to my new job is in the lobby of a recently renovated hotel, and it just appeared there, one day, fully formed. One day there was no Starbucks, and the next week there was a Starbucks with customers in it, drinking soy lattes. I think Starbuckses actually come from the Starbucks factory with prefab customers--just add water and glucose.

Tederick said...

God dang.

Once a few years ago I was driving from North Carolina to New York and there was a stretch of interstate with no Starbuckses for like a hundred and fifty miles.

My friend and I called it "Hell."