Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Mixing metaphors

OK, so, since I started swimming two weeks ago, I've been slowly increasing the number of laps of the pool I swim. When I used to swim in an Olympic-sized pool, I would swim 1km. Last Thursday (or whenever, I forget) I got to 50 lengths of my pool (25 laps). Today, obsessed with upstaging myself, I swam 52. This sounds impressive, and on some level, considering how lazy I am, it truly is. But.

I also estimated, using my patented "walking and counting" method, the length of said pool last week. And I think it is 13m long, or less than 1/3 the size of an Olympic pool. This means that I have to swim 80 lengths to swim 1km. And that, friends, is discouraging, but not impossible. I don't think I can even count to 80, so I will have to devise some sort of counting device to keep at the end of my lane. Like an abacus, but with more levers.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I want this device to surround me with a halo of gold light every time I hit the end of the lane, like when your character levels in Warcraft. That would be an enticement.

Anyway, it's still better than nothing, which is what I do the rest of the time.

No comments: