Tuesday, October 23, 2007

love of mine...

I disappeared for a little while there, Internet. Sorry. I've been wrapped up in a new job. Fortunately, said new job ends this week, so really, you have not lost me for long. My blog is not the only thing that has been neglected. Facebook, my daily blog reads, and my plants (unwatered) feel your pain.

I was excited about everything, yesterday. I got a book to review and a design magazine I didn't subscribe to in the mail. (Who bought me the subscription to Dwell? Contact me for cookies.) But tonight I feel tired, and I got student loan documents in the mail, and I don't have appropriate change for coffee tomorrow, and what then, Internet? WHAT THEN? (I made tea at work today, but I hate tea. I hate how it's too hot for 15 minutes and then lukewarm for 2 hours. I hate how it doesn't have caffeine [or at least mine doesn't], and how it doesn't taste like chocolate [like my coffee always does]. I always end up dumping half of it out. Actually, the only thing I like about tea is the smell, which is why I sometimes make mandarin green tea at home just to let the smell fill my apartment.)

Also, I watched An Inconvenient Truth tonight with James. I enjoyed it, I guess, but it's discouraging. As much as I want to like Al Gore, I can't trust him--so much of this movie is just spin (the personal stuff, mostly, not the science, lest I arouse the fury of my fellow bleeding-heart liberal environmentalist compatriots). I honestly believe that the human race will wipe itself out, and I honestly think, sometimes, it would be better for the planet if we did it sooner rather than later. I'm not kidding. These thoughts occur to me, and I don't even feel bad about them. In fact, given my affection for end-of-the-world scenarios, I would say this constitutes the danger that Walter Benjamin warned us about, when "humankind's 'self-alienation reaches such a degree that it can experience its own destruction as an aesthetic pleasure of the first order." That doesn't mean we should do nothing--I certainly am not advocating that--but it does make it depressing, sometimes, to do something, anything. So in addition to the coffee-change problem, and the student-loan problem, I have the carbon-footprint-problem.

----------------
Currently listening to: Regina Spektor - Fidelity
via FoxyTunes

No comments: