Monday, March 19, 2007

File under: things you can buy for $10, part infinity

Meghan and I went thrift-store shopping yesterday and I would say Rosie, the sassy and fickle goddess of thrift-store luck, smiled on us.

thriftstore 003 thriftstore 002


On the left is a fabulous flamingo lamp. It looks like glass but is actually made of little plastic globules that are melted together. I think this makes it virtually unbreakable, and also, possibly, a fire hazard! But a gloriously kitschy fire hazard. I don't know what I will do when the bulb burns out because, much like a computer, it has "no user serviceable parts inside."

On the right is an orange General Electric space heater that provoked the following conversation:
Jocelyn: Meghan, you are my friend. I need you to tell me the truth about something.
Meghan: What?
Jocelyn: Do you think I should buy this space heater?
Meghan: Does it work?
Jocelyn: I think I want to buy it regardless of whether it works.

I then carried it around the Goodwill store, cutting off circulation to my fingers, because I was afraid some other orange-appliance-loving person might snatch it.

Both are electrically operational! Thank you, Rosie, I owe you one!

No comments: