Saturday, March 17, 2007

I fell off the wagon

15x15.org is a kind of community art project which displays fifteen 15-second videos submitted by users. Obstensibly this is based on the famous Andy Warhol line about fifteen minutes of fame--except in the sped-up online Information Superhighway world, apparently, everybody only gets fifteen seconds.

I wasn't going to use my fifteen minutes of fame, so I gave it to Lindsey Lohan.

For my children's lit class I am reading Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid. Like many people born in the 80s, I guess, I am only familiar with the Disney version of the story. I shall hum "Kiss the Girl" (far and away my favourite Disney song) while I read.

"In the middle of this clearing was a house built of the bones of shipwrecked men, and there sat the sea witch, letting a toad eat out of her mouth just as we might feed sugar to a little canary bird. She called the ugly fat water snakes her little chickabiddies, and let them crawl and sprawl about on her spongy bosom." There you see her... Sitting there across the way. She don’t got a lot to say, but there’s something about her... and you don’t know why,/But you’re dying to try,/You wanna kiss the girl...

No comments: