Wednesday, March 21, 2007

OMG OMG OMG

Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp are going to co-star in a new Wuthering Heights movie. I can't stop wiggling. You know who is going to have to go see this movie with me, right? EVERYBODY. It makes sense that Heathcliffe and Catherine would be played by the two best-looking people in the world.

In other news, since late March 2006 (ie., in the past year) I have read 76 books. It seems like I should be prepared to make some kind of summative statement, such as, "most of these books were good" or "I learned about the human condition" or "some of them were longer than others." The best ones, a top 8 list:

  1. Matthew Battles' Library: An Unquiet History
  2. Neil Gaiman's Coraline
  3. What I Meant to Say: The Secret Lives of Men [Ian Brown, ed]
  4. D. M. Cornish's Monster Blood Tattoo: Foundling
  5. Simon Winchester's The Meaning of Everything: The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary
  6. John Berendt's The City of Falling Angels
  7. Louise Fitzhugh's Harriet the Spy
  8. Jonathan Safran Foer's Everything is Illuminated
I don't have the heart for a "worst of" list. It wouldn't be that long, anyway. "Soft-hearted, sympathetic, optimistic Jocelyn," that is what they call me.